Possible Free Netgear WNR3500L router

douglasc727

Depends on if you like helping the govt to do research or not. If you go to broadband.gov, you can see broadband penetration in the US. However, this data is currently only based on ISP reports of speed/throughput. The free router is kind of like a neilsen box for your internet. The feds will use the data gathered to generate more reports, which in turn, will help influence future ligislation, FCC policies, grants/financial initiatives to bridge the digital divide, etc. They'll also be able to gather research related to "are you getting the service the ads say you'll get?"

In my area, we rarely get advertised speeds, yet if you look at the chart on broadband.gov, you'll see Verizon reports we get great throughput; running the various speedchecks on the net negates Verizon's claims, and cable is even worse. I eagerly signed on for this router, as I'd like to provide the govt data that will help them see how bogus the various local broadband providers claims are. The only thing that disappoints me is that the Feds choose a UK based company with which to partner on this. No US IT companies could do this?

just got the router today.after reading this i am having "big brother is watching" conspiracy thoughts.yes...i am paranoid LOL

willow01

just got the router today.after reading this i am having "big brother is watching" conspiracy thoughts.yes...i am paranoid LOL

Of course you could get rid of that big brother feeling and install a different firmware on that router. I'm not saying that's the best idea as it would break the TOS with SK, just throwing that out there for you.

chrisman

got this today...comes in 4 days for me!

Thank you for volunteering to participate in the SamKnows Broadband Performance Measurement Study, in association with the FCC.

You can track delivery of your White box via UPS with the following tracking number: ------------------.

We've done our best to make sure the installation instructions (http://fcc.samknows.com/install) are as simple and straightforward as possible, and also have a list of FAQs to assist you (http://fcc.samknows.com/faq.html), but if you have any questions about set-up, please do not hesitate to email us at community@samknows.com.

After your unit has been connected, we will send you an email with your reporting URL and login details within 24 hours. If you do not receive this email, please contact us at community@samknows.com.

Thanks again for volunteering, and for helping us to establish greater transparency in the American broadband market.

Kind regards,
Sam.

chrisman

What is a router and how does it help your computer? Do all computers need or have a router? Thanks for answering!

A router is for wireless Internet (wifi). It is the thing that broadcasts the signal so you can work on the internet without having to be hardwired into an Internet source....it other words it makes it so you can go across your house and be able to send an email and not have to drag behind you a super duper long Internet data cable

Hope Tht helps

sunedaz77

Received my router and I am a little disappointed. It is not wireless and it hooks up inline with the internet equipment you already have. Good thing the data will help out the FCC.

willow01

Received my router and I am a little disappointed. It is not wireless and it hooks up inline with the internet equipment you already have. Good thing the data will help out the FCC.

What model is it? It should be wireless. Just remember not all router have antennas.

chris

Administrator
Staff member
It is a N300 Wireless Router, but my PC needs a card to be wireless.

yea you'll have to pick up a wireless N card. How do you normally connect that PC to the internet though? It's a gigabit router so if its near your PC you're much better off just using an ethernet cable

sunedaz77

yea you'll have to pick up a wireless N card. How do you normally connect that PC to the internet though? It's a gigabit router so if its near your PC you're much better off just using an ethernet cable

Just a ethernet cable. Will anyone else be able to pickup my service though? Thanks

register to remove this ad: